Wednesday, December 3, 2014

WHAT IS JUSTICE?

Justice for Michael Brown. No justice, no peace. Justice for Ferguson. These are just some of the signs that so-called protesters have been carrying this past week. This, mind you, is after the Grand Jury had made their finding that no indictment was coming down against the officer involved in the shooting of Brown. After interviewing at least sixty witnesses and hearing hours and hours of testimony, that jury found no probable cause for any legal action against the officer. That is justice. In our country of law and order, justice is defined by a jury hearing testimony and making a finding based on that evidence or lack of it. Justice has been served.

So, what’s the problem? Why, since the Grand Jury made their judgement, has it still been necessary for protesters to take to the streets and try to burn their city down? It would appear that to some of the protesters justice could only be defined as the prosecution of Officer Wilson regardless of his guilt or innocence.

In reality this group of violent, so-called protesters doesn’t care whether the officer is guilty or innocent, they only want revenge. Never mind that the evidence clearly shows that Brown attacked the police officer right after he had robbed a merchant violently and walked down the middle of a busy street defying everyone. When approached by the officer, he showed contempt and disregard for law and law enforcement. He even struck the officer multiple times causing the officer to fear for his life. That’s what we call “suicide by cop.” If you attack a police officer, rest assured it is not going to end well for you.

Why did they shoot him so many times? Why didn’t they fire a warning shot?  These are some of the questions I have heard since the incident. The rules are simple. If you are in danger and you fear for your life, you shoot until the danger passes. This isn’t the movies. You don’t shoot to wound. You shoot until the danger passes, period.

I have sympathy for the parents of Michael Brown. They have lost their son. But the truth of the matter is they lost their son long ago when they didn’t teach him right from wrong and respect for law and law enforcement.

Just last week a twelve year old kid was shot and killed by police officers when he refused to put down what turned out to be a pellet gun that was altered to look like a semi-automatic pistol. Even as a twelve year old, he defied law enforcement. I have great sympathy for his parents also. But at the same time, I feel sorry for the officers who now must live with the fact that they killed a kid, even though it was completely justified.

So, these protesters want justice. So do I. When O. J. Simpson was found not guilty of murder by a jury several years ago, I was upset. I was angry. I believed then as I do now that he killed his ex-wife and her friend, but he was found not guilty. I did not go out and burn down any buildings. I did not march in the street. I do however continue to pray that every time he tries to close his eyes to sleep that he sees the terror in their eyes that he caused and that his days are shortened by his knowledge of his own guilt. I believe that he will someday face true judgement for his actions and he won’t have a slick lawyer defending him.

Justice is not about getting what you want. Ferguson got justice. I hope the hate mongers who created the riots in that city are proud of themselves. All of the violence and destruction is laid at their feet.

Ron Scarbro

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What scares me the most about the current trend is we will reach a point when no one will want to be a policeman. These men and women put their lives on the line everyday with little compensation, and I for one would not do it if I had to worry about being prosecuted for what I believed was an action to save my life. As much as I would love to get on the freeway and not worry about a cop being behind me, a world without police to protect me is a scary thought. If these policemen have to constantly live under this cloud how long will they last before they say forget it. Yes police brutality is something that should not be allowed, but it needs to be real police brutality and not a cop trying to protect themselves. Until kids are taught to respect others and their property and to respect law enforcement all these problems will continue. Whatever happened to stopping when a cop told you to. I don't know of that many kids getting killed then.
Deena