Wednesday, September 27, 2017

THE END OF PRO FOOTBALL???

I am a sports fan. I guess I always have been. As a young adult I began to watch the LA Rams. I was enthralled with the skill of the players. I remember, what seemed to be every year, when the Super Bowl came around the Rams would have to travel to places like Green Bay or Minneapolis where the weather was freezing to play their championship games. It all seemed so unfair, but I and they persevered.

I also watched and attended pro basketball games. When I lived in the Northwest, I was a fan of the Seattle Sonics and the Portland Trailblazers. The game was beautiful. It required skill. Shots were made from the floor and “dunks” were quite rare. In other words, the game was played below the rim. Something happened though. The uniforms changed and so did the attitude of the players. The tailored uniforms of old became what I called “thug” clothing. It became a game of showboaters and braggers. The team concept gave way to individuals. “Slamma Jamma” became the order of the day. It seemed the only talent one needed was the ability to grow to seven feet tall. It left me cold. I no longer pay any attention to pro basketball. It is not a game for me.

I have stayed with pro football so far. Over the years I have enjoyed many teams and the game itself. I know it is a brutal sport, but it usually is played with respect for each other and the opposition.

Lately, however, I have been aware of the creeping individuality and showboating that has become a part of many of the games. Then, to cap it all off, a mediocre quarterback named Colin Kaepernick decided to make a fool of himself in order to get attention. I think he knew he was in trouble with his team and that his future was in jeopardy so he decided to draw attention to himself in the most disrespectful way imaginable. He refused to stand up for our National Anthem. Had the NFL done what should have been done and sent him to the locker room, all this nonsense would have ended. But, no. They tried to ignore the whole thing. Now the entire league is participating in some way. Most of the players don’t even know why. It just appears to be mob rule.

Kaepernick explained that his protest was because he believed black people were being abused by police officers. Total B.S. Here’s a simple way for black people, or anyone for that matter, to get along with police. Number one, obey the law. Number two, respect the law and law enforcement officers. Number three, don’t resist arrest. Pretty simple, huh?

The NFL has apparently decided to bow to “political correctness” and give in to some of the players and their disrespect.

I, along with many others, believe this is a crucial mistake. I think it is just stupid to alienate over half of your customers by allowing an act which could be ended with a simple order from the commissioner. I just heard a poll which concluded that over 96% of Americans object to the players kneeling during the anthem. I know the NFL is a money machine, but it can be brought down just like any other business which does stupid things.

As for me, I will be watching college football. It is refreshing and more fun than the pro game anyway. I have lived quite comfortably without pro basketball and I am certain I will be fine without pro football.

What a sad obituary. Here lies the NFL. They didn’t have the courage to enforce their own rules and they disappeared without a whimper. But they were politically correct.

Ron Scarbro

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you, Ron, I'm a HUGE sports fan - I follow multiple sports throughout the year including both college and professional. Unfortunately, the college game is full of corruption as outlined by the recently released FBI investigation about college basketball coaches being in cahoots w/ shoe companies to bribe players to commit to their respective universities. College football, too, has been identified time and time again for fraudulent acts. Don't get me wrong, I still watch and enjoy the games, and I'm NOT accusing you of this, but to think that college athletics is lily white is simply a foolish and naive notion.
Regarding the pros and "patriotism", or lack thereof - Most people don't remember that not that long ago, players weren't on the field during the playing of the nation anthem. You may recall that back in the day, when you turned on a game at 1 pm, and they were kicking it off. The networks didn't bother to show the pregame tribute to America and the flag.
BUT, in 2009 that all changed when the NFL and the defense dept cut a deal: The NFL would receive millions of $$$ from the military to MAKE the teams and players "look & act" patriotic before the games. It was a marketing ploy to try to recruit more young men and women to enlist into the armed forces.
Two years ago, Sen. John McCain brought this to light when he and Sen. John Flake released a joint oversight report on what they called the “paid patriotism" funding. It read that $6.8 million in taxpayer money was paid to professional sports teams to honor the military at games and various events.
So many, but not all, pro athletes didn't give a hoot about the anthem long before these protests came to light. They were pretending to be patriotic because they had to be.
The backlash from this has taken on a life of it's own, and I truly believe that this weekend (10/1), you'll see a much different "attitude" from the players on the field. When huge, corporate sponsors start to flex their muscles, and they already have, someone will start cracking the whip to resolve this and I trust that it'll sooner rather than later!

Ron Scarbro said...

Thank you for your comments. I also dislike bought and paid for patriotism. If our military needs more young recruits perhaps bringing back the draft will fill the bill. If youngsters had the possibility of being drafted hanging over their heads as it was when I was young, maybe they would find better ways to express themselves. Maybe they would also make better choices in their daily lives. One can only hope.

Ron