Thursday, September 11, 2014

LEAVE MY S'MORES ALONE

Some people like to burn their marshmallows. Some just like them toasted a golden brown. Others just want to warm them. For me the chocolate has to be Hershey’s milk chocolate. It should be room temperature so it melts some when the hot marshmallow touches it. I don’t like to char my marshmallow until it is black, just golden brown. The cracker has to be a graham cracker. I’m not picky about the brand, just crispy and fresh. Of course I’m talking about s’mores. S’mores are a great treat that virtually everyone who has ever roasted hot dogs on an open fire or camped in the woods, or even in the backyard, has enjoyed. S’mores are a staple for Boy and Girl Scout cookouts. I am confident that adults enjoy them as much as kids.

It seems the government, in its wisdom, has decided that s’mores must be changed. They have decided that the chocolate must be removed. Why, you ask? Because they have decided its bad for you. You should use fruit instead of chocolate. What? Are you crazy? Oh, and they have also decided that the marshmallows should be cut back considerably. You see, you just can’t be trusted to make your own decisions about what you should eat or how much.

This kind of reminds me of Michelle Obama’s war on children using the school lunch program. She sent out an edict that schools must make their lunchroom offerings healthier. No more pizza. No hamburgers. No desserts. Well guess what. Kids who would normally buy their lunch at the school lunchroom have stopped. Lunches are being sent back to the kitchen uneaten only to be tossed into the trash can. Sounds like a big fiasco to me.

There are lessons here. There is information to be gleaned from all this. First and foremost, government and her bureaucrats and politicians are not my mother. They are not my father and they are certainly not my big brother. In fact they are my employees. I hire them to do certain jobs and trying to decide what my eating habits should be are not on any job description. And if they were truly doing their job, would they really have the time for this nonsense?

I never cease to be amazed by the arrogance of individuals who, when put into positions of government officialdom, come to believe that we are their subjects instead of free citizens. They begin to see themselves as the all knowing, all seeing arbiters of what is best for you and me. Well I have a simple message for these would be big brothers. BUTT OUT. I will decide, as a free citizen of America, what is best for me and my family. When I want your counsel, I will ask for it. Until then, just do the job you were hired to do.

Some might think that there are people in this country who are just too stupid to know what is good for them. If that is the case, that’s too bad. It is none of the government’s business. We, the people, are endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable rights that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

If, in pursuing your happiness, you choose to make yourself a s’more with chocolate, or marshmallow, or peanut butter, or whatever, it is absolutely none of the government’s business, period.

To any and all bureaucrats who might someday hear this message, do what you have been hired to do. Nowhere in your job description is messing with my s’mores. Leave my s’mores alone.

Ron Scarbro

No comments: