Wednesday, November 8, 2017

I CRIED, HAVE YOU?

“I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet.” I don’t remember when I first heard that, but it was many years ago. I always believed it was one of the best statements I had ever heard to describe how you don’t have to look very far to find someone who is worse off than you. That really came home to me on a recent visit to a VA Medical facility.

I had gone to have a problem dealt with. To me it was a very serious issue, but as I traveled through the lobby of the facility, I was struck by the number of people I saw who really did have problems. The more I witnessed, the more I was left to question how I could call my issue a problem worthy of concern when compared with these veterans with real issues?

I am a veteran and I have a minor service-connected disability which is more an inconvenience than actually debilitating. I didn’t give my life or any of my limbs for my Country. What I did give was some of my time. I’d like to say right here what I have said many times before. I always believed I got more from my time in the service than I ever gave. I was a young hillbilly from Tennessee who went in as a kid and came out as a man. What I saw and learned was immeasurable. My status as an adult was directly impacted and enhanced by my time in the service of my country.

I am left now to compare my contribution with the contribution of these people I saw in various states of disability and disrepair. They were young and old. They were men and women. They were in wheelchairs, walkers, and gurneys, and in all manner of appliances. There were missing limbs. There was blindness. Some would visit but most just seemed to stare off into the distance. I did not hear a single complaint however.

As I watched I was struck with this thought, what they say is true, “Freedom is not free.” We have all heard this, but the way to bring it home is to visit a VA Hospital. I hear so many people complain of our war efforts across the Middle East. I’ve heard complaints about the monetary cost. Then they go about their day, going to work, school, or just anything that is a part of their lives. Do they take for granted their freedom? Do they feel any compassion for those who gave their lives or their bodies as a sacrifice for those freedoms? Do they understand the cost that is being borne by our military to ensure that those freedoms continue? And while we are talking about cost, how much would you charge for your legs? How about your vision? Would it probably be more than the meager pension these veterans are entitled to?

Today, in some quarters, we are witnessing total disrespect for our military, our veterans, and our flag. Our military was even disrespected by a military court who decided that traitor, deserter, Bowe Bergdahl though guilty as charged, should not serve any time in prison. A slap in the face of all of us.  It is also coming from some in the NFL who say they have grievances. Most of those millionaire football players couldn’t shine the boots of the military men and women they choose to disrespect. It is my hope that across this country, fans of the NFL will, on Sunday, November 12, let these players and their owners know without a doubt how we all feel by tuning out the NFL and staying home instead of going to the games. That will be a true celebration of Veterans Day, 2017.

Freedom indeed is not free. Be thankful and remember the people who give their all for freedom this day and every day.

Ron Scarbro
Veterans Day 2017

No comments: