Wednesday, December 5, 2018

SHUT UP AND SING

Did you hear Barack Obama the other day? He said that if you watched Fox News you had a completely different worldview than if you read the New York Times. Well, duh. These were some of the most truthful words I ever heard from this individual who seems at times to have a problem with the truth.

I confess. I watch Fox News, but I also have in the past read the New York Times. Basically I do that to see how the other side lives. I also obtain news from many other sources. In my mind, to depend on only one source is asking for and receiving a one-sided coverage and propaganda. That being said, I am convinced that the New York Times has long ago ceased to be a news organization and has become instead a propaganda arm of the leftist movement in this country. And as I have said before, I wouldn’t wrap my dead, rotting fish in the New York Times for fear my fish would be contaminated by the experience.

This is what I know. What you believe and what you know is largely dependent on your source of information. The only way one can know without a doubt the veracity of anything is to have experienced it. If you go through life using the New York Times as your only news source, you would be a disciple for the left. By the same token, if your only source is Fox News, you become their puppet. I have friends and relatives who think they know the truth of situations but, because they often get their information from left wing news outlets, they couldn’t be further from the truth. Sadly, in my view, Fox News has moved so far to the right that their content is sometimes suspect also. Their motto, “We report, you decide,” is cute but the facts are that they decide what they report just like all news organizations.

When a newspaper publishes one of my columns, it is printed on the “Op-Ed” page. That’s where it belongs. It’s not news, it’s opinion. Unfortunately, much of what passes as news in our publications is really nothing more than opinion driven by the agenda of either the writer or of the organization for whom he works. When readers mistake opinion for news, they become believers. Sometimes that is good, sometimes that is bad. Wouldn’t it be great if news organizations just reported the facts of situations, and let the readers decide what they choose to believe? I am afraid that ship has sailed though. Even local news anchors seem to find it necessary to both report the news and then tell you what to think about it. That is not their job.

An interesting experiment is to find a news story of interest then follow that story through all of the major networks. If it is a positive story about Donald Trump, Fox will give it a favorable reporting. The rest of the networks probably either won’t give it favorable reporting or they will ignore it all together. If a story doesn’t fit a network’s narrative, it will usually not find the light of day. That particular type of malfeasance will not be well received by the consuming public either.

Newspapers are having much more difficulty staying afloat. The more they try to be the news instead of just reporting the news, the more difficulty they are going to have.

It’s a lot like when Barbra Streisand tries to offer me her opinion on politics. I say, just shut up and sing. When you are not entertaining me, you are just boring me. When news outlets stop reporting the news in favor of giving opinion on the news, I say just shut up and report. Otherwise you are just a bore.

Like the late, great John Wayne once said, “Life is tough. It’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”

Ron Scarbro

No comments: