Wednesday, October 9, 2019

MILESTONES AND MILLSTONES



This month marks another milestone in my personal life. I will celebrate my 79th birthday this month. Some may call such a birthday a millstone, not a milestone. Not me. I will celebrate that day. Turning 79 is an accomplishment for anybody. I can easily remember back when I was a child, I didn’t know very many 79-year-old people. The reason is simple, there weren’t that many. What few I did know were old and I mean old. So, what changed? How is it that today those people over 80 are among the fastest growing population in America if not the world?

I am sure there are many reasons but I would like to consider just a few. Take air conditioning for example. The ability to escape the oppressive heat of summer and the stress of that heat, especially at night, makes one’s life much easier. When I was a kid, if you wanted air conditioning, you had to go to the movie theater. That wasn’t all bad because many times they were showing Tarzan or the Lone Ranger. 

Not to be outdone as an extender of human life, consider heating. I set the thermostat to a comfortable temperature and magically my heater goes on or off to achieve that temperature with no effort on my part. Even more magically, my air conditioner and heater are on the same thermostat. I don’t have to chop wood or stoke a fire. I don’t have to breathe in smoke and ash to stay warm. I just push a button. 

Not that long ago, if you wanted to go somewhere, you either saddled up a horse or hitched up a wagon. Do you have any idea how many people left this earth prematurely because of rearing horses or runaway buggies? A ten-mile trip to the grocery store was an all day event. Today I can get in my car, get out on a paved highway, turn on my air conditioner, set my cruise control, turn on stereo music, relax in my power adjusted seat, and travel well over a mile every minute. If it rains, I turn on the windshield wipers. If it gets dark, I turn on the headlights. If I want, I can even talk on the phone with anybody in the world while I am traveling through space from my car. Imagine what people from a hundred years ago would think of that. 

Next on my list is food. Food poisoning killed many, many people in times past. Botulism and rancid meat were not uncommon. We have today the safest food in our history. With pressure canning, freezing, and in some cases chemical preservatives, we can keep food healthy and tasty for much longer than in the past. Who knows how many lives are saved or extended by that simple fact?

Finally, I want to consider modern medicine. I have a shoulder replacement, a knee replacement, hearing aids, some store-bought teeth, I sleep with a CPAP machine because of sleep apnea, and eyeglasses. I take medicine to control my cholesterol, blood pressure, prostate, and blood sugar. If I get a headache, I can take an aspirin. In simple words, my condition is almost exclusively the result of modern medicine. And for a certainty, I am grateful for it. 

So, yes. My 79th birthday will be a milestone. I will spend some of that day remembering so many of my friends and family who did not get there. I will rejoice in the knowledge that I knew them. But, I will go about my day looking forward to the next several milestones. In fact, I plan to die in my sleep some twenty or thirty years down the road. That will be yet another milestone.

Ron Scarbro

No comments: