Wednesday, April 29, 2020

THE NATIVES ARE GETTING RESTLESS


My inbox has been especially busy lately. I have received a lot of very interesting forwards. Some of my favorites are quotes and sayings from people in the past. I will start this column with a recent forward. 

“Soon, when all is well, you’re going to look back on this period of your life and be so glad that you never gave up.” Author unknown. How about that for a perceptive offering? I can’t find out who said it but it certainly rings true in these days and times. 

I am sure all of us, from time to time, consider the mess that we face and wonder when will it all end. Well, this I promise. It will end. And it will end soon. As a people, we have been tested. How have we done? Are we passing our test? How will we be when this is nothing but an ugly memory? 

I think we will all be better for the experience we have had. We will be stronger. Hopefully we will be better prepared for whatever comes next.

Things happen. I live on a small island just off the coast of southern Georgia. Just last week two tornados passed by us within less than ten miles. One went north of us and the other went south. We were not touched, this time, but this is all ending just in time for hurricane season. We have lived in many parts of this country and they all had their particular natural issues. We have lived through earthquakes, blizzards, tornados, and hurricanes. Now we are living through a pandemic. We will get to the other side and we will for a certainty be thankful that we made it to the other side.

Here’s another quote. “Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution.” That delicious quote comes from Albert Einstein. 

As I was writing this piece a song came on the radio. "You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd, but you can be happy if you've a mind to." Penned and sung by the master of such music, Roger Miller. It is clear, there are some things we just cannot control, but we can be happy if we have a mind to.

Next week I am going to get a haircut, finally, and my wife has an appointment with her beauty shop. We also are planning to go out to one of our favorite restaurants. It isn't much, but it is a beginning. 

I heard an interesting item on TV this morning. Apparently in New York from a study of those who died from this virus, 99.2% of them had "underlying issues." So that must mean that only .08% of those who died actually died from this virus. As I have said before, any death is sad, but one would think if these numbers are correct, we might have oversold the threat from this bug. I am certainly no expert but it seems clear we could have dealt with this without destroying our economy. 

Oh, and by the way. The natives are getting restless. All over the country groups of people are marching in the streets demanding that we get back to normal. TV is terrible. There are no sports. I think I have seen every cop show that has ever been made at least two or three times. There is no news with the exception of the latest on "Covid 19". I am to a point where I don't want to hear the word. 

Very soon now there will be a vaccine for this virus and it will go the way of swine flu and other such maladies that have hit us. Gasoline will soon be back at $3.00 a gallon, and airline flights will be full. The stock market will probably go well beyond its highs of the past. As far as attitudes are concerned, it is just as easy to be positive as it is to be negative. Try it. You might like it.

Ron Scarbro April 29, 2020

No comments: