Wednesday, December 23, 2020

MERRY CHRISTMAS

It will soon be Christmas. I know what it means and I trust you do as well. It has always been my favorite time of the year. I love the greeting, "Merry Christmas". It is cheery and bright. Who couldn't love such a greeting? Well, I found out. 

 

A few years ago I served as Chairman for a discussion and coffee group. I decided one year to invite a Jewish professor to our discussion to explain the Hanukkah holiday. She came and did a great job of explaining that tradition. During the question and answer period I asked what I thought was an innocent question. When someone greets you with Merry Christmas, I asked, does that offend you? I admit I was not prepared for her answer. She said she most definitely was offended by that greeting. She was even repulsed by it. And not only the greeting but all of our Christmas traditions.  The trees, the lights, the music, and all of it. 

 

After a bit of ranting we moved on to other subjects and I was left to wonder at what we had just experienced. Who could take offense at this innocent but heartfelt greeting? 

 

I came away from that discussion feeling sorry for that lady. I also don't plan to get her any presents. I will however, continue to offer the greeting “Merry Christmas” to anyone I see during this time of year. I do not plan on asking their religious preference beforehand either. If they are offended, they have my sympathy.

 

Is it just me, or are people more prone to being offended these days? When I greet someone with a seasonal greeting, it is not intended to offend. On the contrary it is offered for what it is. Just a cheery hello. I have never sought to determine the religious affiliation of the person I was greeting, if any. It doesn't matter to me. 

 

Of course you remember Ben Stein, a very funny, yet extremely intelligent man. Ben is also very Jewish as are all his ancestors. He was asked a similar question about Christmas. He said he loved the season and all its traditions. He is especially fond of "bejeweled, tinsel covered", his words, trees. He also loved that they were called Christmas trees. 

 

I am sure you are aware that some people choose to call them "holiday" trees. Well they are but the holiday is Christmas and no amount of political correct nonsense will ever change that. 

 

So then. In this free country you are free to celebrate any holiday tradition you wish or to not celebrate at all. As for me and my house we will celebrate Christmas as the birthday of Jesus and we will keep the traditions of centuries before us.

 

To you, with no offense intended or implied, we wish a very Merry Christmas and the hope that your new year will be healthy and happy as well.

 

Ron Scarbro Christmas 2020

 

No comments: