Wednesday, March 3, 2021

TRADITIONAL AMERICAN

I recently was responding to a survey. The question was which political party do I most closely identify with. Given the choices, I would most certainly choose the Republican party. Why? Do I agree with that party completely? Of course not. I decided that I would consider the question for this column. 

 

First of all I believe the Constitution as written is the law of the land. It is not a "living document". It is my opinion that respect and regard for the Constitution should be the basic principle of any political party. Some folks seem to have forgotten this principle though.

 

The Bill of Rights perfects the law of the land starting with the first amendment. Basically this amendment guarantees us all free speech. Of course much more is included in the first amendment but let's move on to the second. That of course is the absolute right to keep and bear arms. In today's language this means to own and carry weapons. There is nothing ambiguous about these two amendments. They say what they mean and mean what they say. If one claims to be a Republican and they don't believe in what I just wrote, perhaps they should reconsider what party they belong in. What continues to amaze me is how any American, regardless of political party, could think any other way. Are they in the wrong country?

 

I believe in personal responsibility. I believe in equal opportunity but not in guaranteed outcome. We all have the right to try but we are not guaranteed success. Sometimes we fail. That's life. If I am successful, good for me. If I am not, it is my fault, not someone else's. I should not expect the government, which of course is my fellow citizens, to bail me out. 

 

I believe we need and should have a strong military with the latest and best weaponry in the world. This military is not for conquest. It is for defense. No country in the world should ever think they could attack us and survive. Our military serves as a deterrent to any would-be enemy on earth and we need to keep it strong.

 

We are a law-and-order country. We have skilled police forces to make sure laws are obeyed. We have a judicial system in place to ensure suspected violators are tried fairly and punished fairly. I favor this way of life. Granted, from time to time, mistakes are made. We rectify those mistakes. 

 

I believe medical care is a product offered by medical practitioners just like potatoes are a product offered by potato farmers. Neither of these products is a right. If one wishes to avail himself of medical services or potatoes, one must go into the marketplace and purchase them. 

 

All of the beliefs I have mentioned are Republican beliefs, or at least used to be. Many have been watered down over the years. Not just Republican beliefs however, these are American principles. Sadly the other party seems to have turned its back on many of these beliefs. 

 

Democrats seem to favor irresponsibility. They want the government to be in charge of your life from birth to death. They have created a dependent class who look for someone to take care of them. The Democrats are the authors of the "cancel" culture and political correctness. Both of which violate the first amendment. Their "big brother" system of government flies in the face of traditional America. 

 

This brings me to the thesis of this writing. It is getting more difficult to understand the differences in the parties.  I see myself as a traditional American. It is quite often difficult to identify as a Republican, but that party comes closer to my belief system than the Democrats to be sure. Time will indeed tell what the future holds for us. It is tenuous at best.

 

Ron Scarbro March 1, 2021 

 

No comments: