Wednesday, January 5, 2022

TAP THAT MUTE BUTTON

Have you made any resolutions for the new year yet? Over the years I have made many. One of my favorites has always been to lose some weight. Does that sound familiar to you? Years ago when I was a smoker, I often resolved to quit smoking. Of course there have been many more because there have been many new year's days. Eighty-one in fact. 

 

I haven't made resolutions lately. Maybe it's because they are supposed to last for an entire year, not just a month or two. Besides, like most, I rarely kept resolutions. 

 

This year is different though. I am up there in years and somewhat challenged in my mobility so I watch a lot of television. My resolutions this year will deal a lot with what comes on the television screen. Not only programming but also the commercials. News programs are just a joke anyway. I always watch tv with my remote nearby. This comes in handy especially when commercials come on. 

 

So, here's a new year's resolution. I resolve to mute any and all auto insurance commercials. This is especially true for Progressive and Geico. I am fairly certain they control 75 to 80% of tv time followed closely by Liberty Mutual. They all waste their money on commercials at my house because I mute them. I have often wondered how much cheaper auto insurance would be if they spent less on television commercials.

 

Next, I resolve to mute any reference to Covid 19 or any variant spawned by it. If you turn on the news, the only news you will see is the latest numbers on those testing positive and of course the deaths. It looks like some sort of competition. New York is ahead of Michigan in numbers of infected and Florida is trailing everybody else. But how can that be because Florida has fewer mask rules and a general laxness about the whole disease? Besides, Florida's population is generally older. Shouldn't their numbers be higher? 

 

If you want news about traffic accidents, local crime, world affairs, etc., you will just have to wait until the breathless covid reporting is done. I don't know about you, but I am fed up with this political disease and hearing about it. Tap the mute button. 

 

Speaking of breathless reporting, how about Dr. Fauci? We are told he is a medical doctor but he sure doesn't act like one. He comes off as just another politician who is trying to stoke fear in people using this disease as their cause de jour. From the beginning I paid attention to him. I no longer do. He has become the little boy who cried wolf. He said we have to "level the curve". That made sense then, but it turns out that changed nothing. Now he just rattles on saying whatever the Administration wants him to say. Quick, tap that mute button.  

 

My next mute button is reserved for anytime Joe Biden is on the tube. Never has anyone said so little and thought it was so much. I often wonder if he even knows what he is talking about? He is an embarrassment to this country. I can only imagine how nervous his puppeteers must get when he goes off script. He could say anything and often does.  

 

Sadly, I will continue to spend my time in front of the tv set. My mute button is a blessing.

 

Ron Scarbro January 5, 2022

 

No comments: