Wednesday, March 16, 2022

WHITE GUYS HISTORY MONTH

In February we observed "Black History Month." I thought that was great. Over the years of my life I have had several black heroes. My favorite singer has always been Ray Charles. Any song he ever covered became his own. Ray is followed very closely by my second choice, Johnny Mathis. He had a way of delivering a song that had to make the composer proud. Another black hero of mine is Barry Sanders. Probably the greatest running back pro football has ever seen. He made the game fun just moving and shaking through defenses who couldn't touch him. Quarterbacks rarely threw a pass when Barry was in the game. Now, lest you think my black heroes are limited to music and sports, my all time favorite economist was Dr. Walter Williams. I probably learned more about how our economy works from him than anybody I know. Dr. Williams is followed closely by Thomas Sowell. Another brilliant thinker who teaches what he knows. Of course I have had black friends along the way as well as employers and employees. 

 

No sooner had Black History month ended when "Women's History Month" came along. Wow, I thought, this is great. I have had many women heroes in my life. Why wouldn't we celebrate them? So, who are the female heroes in my life? Well, that's easy. Number one is and always has been my lovely wife, Linda. We are in our sixtieth year of marriage as of today. Some congratulate us for such a long marriage to which I say, it has been my pleasure. She gave this world two great people, my children. They have become, thanks to her marvelous teaching, outstanding and very productive citizens. I am confident they will continue to be assets to this country. My mother ranks high on my list of heroes. She was a very young country girl when she married my father. She didn't finish high school. She raised three sons and a daughter. And she figured out a way to feed them all with virtually no money. There was always enough food. I remember when she took a skinny little fryer chicken about the size of your fist, made a chicken pot pie, fed eight people and they all thought they had had chicken. She was amazing. There have also been some historical women who come to mind. Margaret Thatcher for one and then there's Condoleezza Rice. When Biden was looking for a woman "of color" to nominate for the Supreme Court, he passed right by Conde Rice. She is the right gender and the right color. She also has the advantage of being extremely intelligent. Maybe that was the reason Biden didn't pick her. 

 

Well, with those two months behind us, the only thing left is "white guys" month. That's gotta be next, right? You know as well as I that month is not going to happen. The reason is simple. White guys don't need any pandering. Wait Ron, you mean to tell me that Black History month and Women's History month are just examples of political pandering? Call me crazy, but yes, that's what I think. 

 

Clearly white guys have contributed more to the development of this country than any other group. I have more white heroes than I can count. And yes, some mistakes were made but more right decisions than wrong ones were made. For the most part we have corrected our mistakes. Let's face it. White guys are not going to get the recognition they deserve, but I don't think they care. I know I don't.

 

Ron Scarbro March 14, 2022 

 

No comments: