Wednesday, March 13, 2024

WHO IS IN CHARGE?

 

This column will be a departure from my normal political rants. I am directing this to that growing group of "climate change" worshipers. They are the ones who believe humans are in charge of nature instead of nature being in charge. 

 

I was looking in my neighbor's backyard and witnessed a raccoon which appeared to be in trouble. It was rolling around and just seemed not to be right. After a while it stopped and just laid still. I figured it must have died. I went on to bed as usual. 

 

The next morning I looked out and saw probably twelve to fifteen buzzards. Maybe six were feeding on the raccoon carcass with the rest idly sitting on the roof. Soon a few flew down to feed and shoo away the ones there. They returned to the roof. This rotation continued for most of the day and the raccoon disappeared. 

 

There was nothing going on that wasn't normal. But it raised some questions in my mind. First, this area is a tree covered neighborhood with kids and people everywhere. It is certainly not out in the wild. It would be difficult to see the ground from the air due to the tree cover. Plus most of the action happened after dark.

 

Now, unless I am mistaken, racoons don't have obituary pages in the newspapers. Also, I don't think buzzards have internet service or gmail. So, how did they discover the dead raccoon so quickly as well as gather a crowd to assist? This then is the true revelation of who is in charge of nature. Clue, it ain't humans. 

 

It is clearly obvious that buzzards are tasked by nature to remove carrion. All animals are going to die. Removal of carrion is nature's way of getting rid of disease-bearing dead creatures. And aren't we glad of it. Humans are smart enough to bury their dead. Lesser animals are not so fortunate. 

 

And so to those of you who think humans are in charge, consider this. The buzzards in the dark of night found the poor hapless raccoon and dispatched the entire carcass in one day. Humans had nothing to do with it. And it happens every day somewhere.

 

Nature, or God as I prefer to identify it, is in charge. Humans, like buzzards and raccoons, are merely residents of this great earth and as such are subject to the laws of nature. I think it is good for all of us to be reminded of that at times.

 

Ron Scarbro March 12, 2024

 

No comments: