Wednesday, May 2, 2018

POLITICS ACCORDING TO MEATHEAD

I guess I should feel special. Yet another liberal has chosen to identify me and those who think like me in a less than complimentary way. Of course this isn’t the first time this has happened. I remember when Bill Clinton was being cornered by allegations of sexual impropriety and out and out lies, Hillary decided to defend him by calling me and others who thought like me, part of a “vast right-wing conspiracy”. I don’t know about you, but I loved being a part of a vast right-wing conspiracy. I even had a coffee mug with “Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy” written on it. Obviously there was no conspiracy because Clinton was subsequently impeached and disbarred for lying to a Grand Jury about the whole affair.

Then there was Barack Obama who accused me and other rednecks like me of “clinging to our religion and our guns”. I confess. He nailed it. I am a gun owner and I probably am a redneck too, but I am also proud of my religion. I know he meant it as an insult, but I took it as a compliment. That’s the problem with us rednecks, we don’t know when elite liberals are trying to insult us. Sorry.

Now comes Hillary again. All of us Trump supporters were identified as irredeemable and belonging in a basket of deplorables. Really Hillary. Is that the best you can do? It’s no wonder you lost a cinch election. It’s so unlike you. Oh, wait a minute. Maybe it is exactly like you.

Well it just happened again. I was treated to a political intellectual analysis by none other than “Meathead”. You may know him as Rob Reiner. Reiner is another Hollywood lefty. He identified me and my cohorts, you, you, and you, as “the lunatic fringe”. Hmmm. What do I think about that? Well here’s what I think. Opinions like Reiner’s and the other liberals mentioned earlier have about the same value to me as passed gas. It usually stinks and it disappears in a matter of seconds.

Weaponizing political differences and insulting those who don’t share their opinions is the new politics in American. Actors should act and singers should sing. When I want political analysis, I go to a political intellectual for opinion. When I want to hear people recite or sing someone else’s lines, I will seek out singers and actors.

Considering the Hollywood crowd, they have a product to sell. It is either movies or music. Doesn’t it seem rather counter-productive to alienate over half of their prospective buyers? Jim Acosta, CNN’s Chief White House Correspondent, just said that Trump supporters’ elevators don’t go to the top floors. That would be another alienation of over half of the population of the country.

I wouldn’t watch CNN or go to a movie with Rob Reiner involved for anything and millions think like me. Singers like Barbra Streisand and Harry Belafonte are wasting their collective breaths trying to entertain me. Their political opinion is like so much passing gas and they should just shut up and sing.

Like many of the readers of this blog, we have or had careers in business. Can you imagine how much harder selling your product would be if you or one of your salespeople alienated over half of your prospective buyers with their big mouths?

Think about the National Football League. There is the real possibility they may not recover from their decisions to marginalize their audience by allowing their employees to show blatant disrespect for our country, our flag, and our military. I know they lost me and several of you have expressed a similar thought.

Professional football, movies, and music are for my entertainment. They should park their political opinion at the front door and just entertain.

Ron Scarbro

No comments: