Sunday, November 1, 2009

LIVE LIKE YOU ARE DYING

When I first sat down in front of this computer to write this weeks' blog, it was my intention to write about the moron who decided that he  and his honor were offended by none other than his own daughter, and further decided that because of his twisted idea of religion he was required to kill that daughter. Her offense? Becoming too westernized. You have read the story. He ran her and a friend down in his car putting them both in the hospital. As of this writing his daughter is still in critical condition. My mere words could never do justice to the feelings I have about this barbaric act. If I had my way, I would gut shoot him with buckshot and feed him to a herd of feral hogs. But, of course, I am not in charge so I will have to let our judicial system deal with this sub-human idiot.

You, my readers, are far too intelligent to have to hear my thoughts about these third world, ignorant, cave dwelling, freaks. So, today I wish to be more philosophical.

 Here's my simple question. If you knew you were living in your last week of life, what, if anything, would you do differently? How would you spend that time? What, if anything, would you change? What would your meals consist of? Would you eat that hot fudge sundae? Who would you spend your time with? What would you worry about? Someone recently told me that the first thing he would do is light up a cigarette. I probably understand that. The questions could run on and on but I think you get my direction.

As for me, I think about this once in a while. I just had my 69th birthday so my age alone should alert me to the fact that time is fleeting. But consider this, being young doesn't necessarily guarantee you a tomorrow or a next week. By the same token, being older doesn't mean that you are living in your last hours either.

Here is what it gets down to. How am I spending my time? Is it being wasted? Tim McGraw recently released a song entitled "Live like you are dying". That is the message of this writing today. We don't know what tomorrow may bring. We have all lost friends and relatives and felt the sorrow of that loss. Our friends and relatives will feel that same sorrow when we are gone. But this message is not about dying. It is instead about living. It is about enjoying our time on this earth whether that time is measured in hours, days, or decades. It is simple enough to be distracted by the idiots in this world who do vile and vicious things to each other. My challenge to you and to me is to live our lives as if we were dying. Here is a simple task. Consider what you would order for your last meal on earth, then go out and have it. How easy is that?

Don't get me wrong. It's okay to be aware of things going on in the world, but, there is nothing gained by dwelling on them. Priorities, priorities, that is my message. Do you have debts? I am not talking about monetary debts. No, I am talking about emotional debts. Do you owe any "I love yous"? Do you owe any "I am glad to have you as my friend"? Have you told your kids how proud you are of them? Have you told your mate how your life has been made whole by his or her being in it? That is the living I am talking about.

My final point is this. If you were about to draw your last breath, is there anything you have left unsaid? If so, say it now.

Ron Scarbro November 1, 2009



2 comments:

Bo Lumpkin said...

I agree with your post. I really do enjoy life, most of the time I feel sorry for anyone that ain't me. I learned a long time ago that every day is a bonus.

By the way, since I met you via the internet it has enhanced my life and I thank you for it.

Ron Scarbro said...

Thank you for those kind words. It makes me feel good that on occasion I may have some effect and hopefully for the better, on someone's life. I also believe that within the message of this blog there is an evangelical opportunity for some who may feel so inclined. I hope this note finds you feeling well and raring to go.

Best regards,
Ron