Wednesday, November 11, 2020

BECAUSE OF A POWERFUL MILITARY, LIFE GOES ON

To say I am disappointed would be a true understatement. But life goes on. America goes on. I am convinced there was fraud in this election and it probably wasn't the first time the American people have been the victims of fraud. Sadly, it probably won't be the last time either. Our job is clear. Make sure we find the crooks and prosecute them. Did you get that Sen. Graham?

 

Today my mind is on another matter. Veterans Day. Without a strong military we wouldn't even have elections. Without people willing to put their lives on hold to serve, there would be no America.  

 

Today is Veterans Day. A day we set aside to honor those who, at some point, signed a contract offering themselves to our country. They didn't know what that service would turn out to be, but they signed up anyway.

 

When I enlisted there was no war going on but that could have changed on a moment's notice. By the time I got out of basic training, I was ready for anything. Fortunately nothing blew up during my few years in the military. Not everyone was so lucky. 

 

On Veterans Day we honor all veterans. We honor the war fighters for their sacrifice. Especially the ones who didn't return. We honor those who left body parts on battlefields all over the world.  We also honor those who entered the service and never had to face the ugliness of war. They were trained and ready to go if needed. Their very presence is a deterrent to all tinhorn dictators who want to rule the world.

 

We also should never forget the sacrifice of the families of veterans. Mothers and fathers who gave their children and are left with nothing but a triangle folded flag. The families who had to deal with wounded returnees. Lives were definitely changed forever. 

 

Most veterans are like me. I never had to face a hot war. But, like so many others, I put my life on hold to serve my country. I just read that less than eight percent of our citizens actually served in the military. I would have thought it would have been more. Back when I was a teenager you either joined or you were drafted. Not so today and I believe we are poorer for it.

 

Personally I am richer for having served. I went from the hills of Tennessee to all over the world. I was stationed in Germany. I got to see what happens to a country when madmen get power. I also got to see the sweeter side. I went to Paris and London. I traveled to Amsterdam. Yes, I am definitely richer for having served my country. 

 

When someone says thank you for your service to me, I always feel a little overwhelmed. I am the one who is thankful. I am thankful to be living in a free country. I am thankful people still enlist in the service of this great country. I am thankful for my fellow veterans. It is my sincere hope that we, as a country, never take our freedom for granted. 

 

Happy Veterans Day

 

Ron Scarbro November 11, 2020

 

No comments: