Wednesday, November 25, 2020

WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD

I see trees of green

Red roses too

I see them bloom

For me and you

And I say to myself

What a wonderful world.

 

I am sure you all recognize the words to that famous song, "What A Wonderful World.” Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong, among many others recorded it. 

 

Thursday is Thanksgiving Day. Now I know 2020 has been a difficult year and it's not over yet, but you and I are on the right side of the grass. We will survive. We all have so much to be thankful for. Just look outside. As the song says, it's a wonderful world.

 

In this holiday season we all have to consider the blessings of just being alive and living in the greatest country on earth. For many of us the election was terrible. The pandemic keeps hanging on. Many people have suffered financial reversals due to this virus. Will this never end? 

 

Well guess what. In just a wisp of time this will all be behind us. As the saying goes, this too will pass. The vaccine, just discovered, will neutralize this virus and we will go back to normal. 

 

There will be another election in two years and our country will have the opportunity to heal itself from past election mistakes. I have lived through many elections in my time on this earth. Some of them were terrible but many were great. We are the same country who elected Eisenhower and Reagan. We also elected Trump. Trump gave us what we needed when we needed it. Primarily judges and justices who will adjudicate based on the Constitution, not on politics. He also cleaned up the mess left by Obama and Biden. We will doubtless have another mess to clean up in 2022.

 

Another accomplishment from the Trump Administration was the fast track creation of the Covid19 vaccine. I believe most of the population of this country will be vaccinated by early Spring 2021, and possibly most of the free world.

 

I see skies of blue

And clouds of white.

The bright blessed day,

The dark sacred night.

And I say to myself

What a wonderful world.

 

That song says it all. Our future is what we make it. If we are positive, we will have a positive future. If we only see the negative, then you know what that means. I choose to look on the bright side. We, as a people, are stronger than any one election or any virus.

 

Since it is Thanksgiving, let's talk turkey. Our meal will be completely traditional. That means roast turkey filled with cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potato casserole, fresh green beans, chardonnay wine and finally home baked pecan pie, all using the good china and glassware. I say traditional because this has been our holiday meal for many years. That is my kind of tradition.

 

I hope your holiday is filled with the joy of family, friends, and good food. Let us all put our minds to making 2021 a better year. Let us be kinder to each other. Let us be more tolerant. Count our blessings. They are many.

 

The final verse of the song goes like this.

 

I hear babies cry,

I watch them grow.

They'll learn much more 

Than I'll ever know.

And I think to myself

What a wonderful world.

 

Ours is truly a wonderful world. 

Happy Thanksgiving

 

Ron Scarbro November 24, 2020

 

No comments: