Wednesday, June 2, 2021

THE CONTENT OF OUR CHARACTER

I do not believe America is inherently a racist country. I do not believe that America was founded by individuals who were racists. I am not a racist and I resent the almost constant drumbeat of today that we are all racists. 

 

There is no doubt that in our history this country did some ugly things. Slavery was one of the worst. Now, I don't want this to come as a shock to you, but none of us living today had anything to do with slavery. Slavery was part of the commerce of that bygone era. Most Americans were overjoyed when it ended.

 

In my lifetime I have worked for, with, and hired people of different races. When I was in the Army it was understood that you would never question the race of the man next to you in a foxhole. Only that he was as ready as you to deal with whatever came our way. 

 

What we did to Japanese Americans during WWII was terrible. We put them in concentration camps.  Fortunately, most of them survived our ignorance and have fared well. May we never again be so stupid. 

 

So, what is all this racism talk about? Many believe it is an effort to force this government to pay reparations to black people of today who were never slaves and probably don't even have distant relatives who were slaves. Reparations means to repair. Well, I didn't break anything. Therefore, I don't owe any reparations.   

 

There is an effort to make "critical race theory" a part of the public school curriculum. If ever there was a better way to further divide us as people, I don't know what it would be. What is that theory? It begins with the false notion that black people are oppressed by white people. It furthers the idea of white privilege. Some in this country want us to believe black people are victims of white supremacy. The truth is that no Americans are victims. All Americans are free people who can accomplish anything their effort and talent will allow. The sooner that black people get over the "victim" identity, the sooner they will be able to succeed just like anybody else.

 

In America we all have the freedom to try. We do not have a guarantee of success however. I just read that Michael Jordan has a net worth of over two billion dollars. Granted he was a great basketball player, but that didn't create that kind of wealth. He has also proven to be a very talented businessman. He regularly gives a lot to charities as well. 

 

Barack Obama was elected President of this country. How could a racist country elect a black president? Granted he was only half black but personally I didn't like either half. I didn't vote for him. It had nothing to do with his race. It was his politics that I didn't like. I would vote for Condoleezza Rice or Dr. Walter Williams, both of whom are black, for President any time. It has to do with their politics, not their skin color or gender. 

 

I believe the claim that black people are oppressed by white people is an excuse for lack of accomplishment and maybe even laziness. 

 

Martin Luther King Jr. said it clearly. He longed for the day when people would be judged not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. As a white man I long for the same treatment. To those who believe my success, albeit moderate, is due to my whiteness, I say give me the same consideration King longed for. Judge me not by the color of my skin but by the content of my character.

 

Ron Scarbro May 30, 2021

 

No comments: