Wednesday, May 15, 2019

CAN WE PLEASE JUST STOP THE CLOCK?


One of the first things I look for in the morning newspaper is the birthdays. It’s probably silly, but I like to see how people are doing as they age. I usually am surprised by the names I read and the ages of those people. These are the athletes, entertainers, people of note, and other heroes of my youth. How did they get so old?

Next, I look to see who died and how old they were. Last week it was Doris Day. She was 97. I was astounded. She was one of my favorites. She was a bright eyed, beautiful lady who seemed so full of life. This morning I awoke to learn of the passing of Tim Conway. Truly, one of the funniest people I have ever known. To those who never saw him perform on the Carol Burnett Show, I can only say you missed it. It would be difficult to pick my favorite skit that he did, but the time he portrayed a dentist who accidentally shot novocaine into his hand and then continued to try to do his dentist chore was hilarious. Harvey Korman was his patient and Harvey lost it. I had trouble catching my breath as I watched it. If you ever get the opportunity to see this bit, even if you have seen it before, I encourage you to see it again.

Recently my wife and I decided to burn a CD with some of our favorite music. We spent a good deal of time coming up with the right songs and the right singers. It turned out great. It was only after listening to the CD a few times that we realized, most of the entertainers on it were deceased. Our favorite singers all seemed to be gone. But when you think about it, why wouldn’t they be? After all, the clock is ticking on all of us.

Our favorite sports heroes of the past are dying off. The same with most of the entertainers of our youth. That’s sad, but at the same time it has its upside. Consider the lives they lived. Consider that one could spend their lives entertaining others and making them happy. What a great legacy. Even today, we can turn on the radio or the sound system and hear the songs we have loved forever again and again. Many of the great events in sports are recorded for all time. We can look at them when we want.

Another thing I became aware of recently was a note from an old friend of many years. He wrote to me about events we were involved with many years ago. He then kindly told me that I had influenced him and even somewhat inspired him in those days. We were both very young and frankly, I had no idea that I had had any such influence on him or anyone for that matter. That then is the point. We just don’t know when we are influencing someone else by our words or by our deeds either good or bad. Rarely do we hear about it.

I think there is a moral here. Sing your song. Speak your mind. Do your dance. But remember, someone is probably watching or listening. You never know how you are influencing them. If you are funny, make someone laugh. If you can sing, please someone’s ears. In other words, give what you have. Share what wisdom you have. Someone’s life may be improved by your actions.

When the anchor announced the passing of Tim Conway just a week after the death of Doris Day, she said, “Can’t we please just stop the clock?” Of course the answer is no. But we can remember. We can enjoy the legacy these individuals have left us with. In our thoughts and our minds people can and do live forever.

Ron Scarbro

No comments: