Wednesday, October 30, 2013

I'M JUST NOT MADE FOR THESE TIMES

In St. Paul, Minnesota there is a radio program called “Garage Logic.” Its host, Joe Soucheray, often says that he believes he just isn’t made for these times. I feel much the same way.

I clearly remember as a youngster hearing the older generation railing against rock music and our style of dancing. They didn’t like the way we dressed and they said they didn’t like our cars. I, of course, dismissed their old fashioned thinking. Well, while I still believe they were just old fashioned, I now have a better understanding of their feelings.

Today I look out on the world around me and I am completely astounded at what we have become. Have I become old fashioned? I see pretty young girls defiling their faces with tattoos, piercings and hideous dress that leaves absolutely nothing to the imagination. I caught a glimpse of Miley Cyrus “twerking”, if that is what you call it, on TV.  It wasn’t dancing folks, it was sex with clothes on and very little clothing at that. She and her father should be ashamed. But, of course, they are not. Babies born without fathers are so common the mothers are now known as baby mama. Young sperm donors disappear when the responsibility of fatherhood appears.

I am amazed by the number of people who believe the government owes them a living. I see young men running around with their pants down below their butts and their caps either on backwards or sideways. They look like what we called in my day dufuses.

And the movies today. What is the deal about vampires and zombies? I understand movies are supposed to be fantasy but what they call movies today is  ridiculous. The last thing on earth I would want to see as entertainment is a film about zombies or vampires starring one of these modern day wussie leading men. There is no John Wayne or Jimmy Stewart. There is no Elizabeth Taylor or Grace Kelly. No thanks, I think I will just stay home. It is more entertaining to watch leaves fall or paint dry.

Also, every time I turn on the TV set I am treated to a preview of the latest video  game for your game show console. They all seem to be blood and guts and robots and space aliens. What I think is funny is that they are rated “M” for mature. Wouldn’t “I” for immature make more sense?

Young people of today never seem to actually have face to face friends. They seem to prefer virtual friends who live only in cyberspace. That relieves them of the personal responsibility of being an actual companion. Their conversations occur online or in “tweets.” That allows them to develop phony selves with unknown personas. It is hard for me to believe the future of such relationships can be anything but disasters.

One answer is simple, the military draft. As youngsters we all knew the draft was there and all able bodied men were going to be called on to serve their country. It wasn’t if, it was only when. That knowledge permeated our thoughts and directed our actions. Today a draft for both men and women would serve both our military needs and also the needs of young, undirected or misdirected people. I know that wouldn’t be popular, but it is one answer.

I suspect many of you who read this are also not made for these times. I suspect you would also like to see us return to a time when life was simpler. The future for today’s kids is going to be rough and I don’t think they are ready for it. With all of the advancements we have made, much of our character has been abandoned. Much of what has made us who we are has disappeared. I think we need to change these times.

Ron Scarbro

No comments: